Experts agree that now is the time to prep both the network and the company for a potential bird flu pandemic. Here are 14 suggestions from Gartner Inc. on how to proactively take charge of bird flu preparation, instead of reacting to an outbreak:
- Obtain and evaluate written copies of service provider influenza response plans.
- Assess service provider strategies for remote management.
- Identify specific needs not addressed in existing service provider business continuity disaster plans.
- Seek assurance that externally employed business process experts will be accessible.
- Recommend that executives identify the most critical employees.
- Directly oversee the installation of broadband services to the homes of the most critical employees.
- Install backup broadband services for senior executives.
- Invest in a backup environment for email traffic.
- Contract with an external provider for email.
- Obtain satellite phones for executives, board members and critical staff.
- Negotiate preferential terms with an audio/videoconferencing provider.
- Decide whether to lease or buy in-house audio-conferencing systems.
- Use Web conferencing with clients and suppliers.
- Assess, recommend and act now.
Dig deeper on Network disaster recovery