In this 20-minute podcast, Victor Moreno, author of the book Network Virtualization, discusses WAN virtualization. He talks about the importance of extending virtual networks over the WAN, the preparations that enterprises need to make and challenges that may arise. He also offers recommendations for WAN managers.
Listen to Moreno’s answers to the WAN virtualization questions below:
- What does it mean to “extend a virtual network over a WAN”? [:29 sec. into the podcast]
- How does that compare to the definition of a “virtual wide area network”? [1:59 min.]
- Why is extending the virtualized enterprise over the WAN important? [3:25 min.]
- What is the most challenging aspect of extending virtual networks over the WAN for enterprises? [6:14 min.]
- What preparations do enterprises need to make for maintaining virtual networks over the WAN? What is the process like? [8:58 min.]
- What do you recommend to WAN managers who have little experience in maintaining virtual networks? [13:05 min.]
- Why would enterprises not deploy virtual networks over the WAN? What might prevent enterprises from doing so? [16:34 min.]
Download for later:
- Internet Explorer: Right Click > Save Target As
- Firefox: Right Click > Save Link As
To learn more about WAN virtualization, read chapter 7 of Network Virtualization, “Extending the virtualized enterprise over the WAN,” from this book chapter download page.
About the speaker: Victor Moreno works as a technical marketing engineer at Cisco Systems with over 15 years of experience in the industry. Moreno also has experience with enterprise campus network virtualization, having been involved with it since 2001.
This was first published in September 2011